Sunday, October 16, 2005

Recovering from Retreat

I'm back from a writer's retreat! Had a great time, though we stayed up way too late every night. One of our topics was Susan Elizabeth Phillips' "Ain't She Sweet?" It was a spirited discussion regarding her characters and the story. We all agreed she's a wonderful writer. We also discussed the subject of "Flow" and creativity. We're all working on ways to improve getting into the zone, staying focused and just letting the work come. Now I'm hoping I can do that! Back to the real world here tomorrow. For tonight, though, I'm going to watch a movie, read, set the DVR to record Desperate Housewives and Gray's Anatomy , then go to bed. My poor little brain needs rest.

2 comments:

Bronwyn Jameson said...

Hi Barbara. *waving from the other side of the Pacific* You've managed to mention three of my favorite things -- SEP, Gray's Anatomy and D Housewives -- in the one past AND to make me envious re yr retreat and the discussions.

Barbara McCauley said...

Hi right back at cha, Bronwyn. I LOVE Gray's Anatomy! My new favorite show. When the "Nazi" nurse stood by Christina and held her head during surgery--wow--talk about showing emotion, not telling. I heard they were going to originally cast the nurse as younger blonde, but when this woman (I've still got to learn the actors names) auditioned, they knew she was the one. I can't imagine anyone else in any of the roles--the casting and writing and acting is awesome. Gets me in the gut every time. Not that frantic rushing around of ER, which I used to love, but only watch occasionally now. Desperate Housewives is still good, but kind of starting to lose me. Susan really needs to get a clue. And hey, you want to do a retreat, I just might go down under for that one!