Thursday, October 13, 2005

The Heart of a Soldier

This is a very special e-mail I received from a dear friend. Her son just arrived in Iraq and this is his letter home. I'm so proud I know this brave young man. And I'm proud to be an American. To all of you who have sons, husbands, brothers, in Iraq, I say thank you from the bottom of my heart. I'm going to go hug my kids and my washing machine... Greetings from Iraq. Sunday oct 9 2005> Where to begin, well I miss everyone back home. I> really don't like it here, Actually it's a shithole.> The food is decent at the camp I'm at right now...> although we're just passing thru so I don't keep my> hopes up. I am still living in cramped quarters. yes> 10 guys can get into a 20 sq ft room.> I have heard good news from my chain of command but> unfortunately I cant let you guys know.... for> security reasons i assure you. But we are going to> be safe and I will keep my head down.> I am very proud to be the only member of our Family> to go to war> > > To my parents.... all 4 of them, I love you guys and> hope you are proud of what Ive accomplished> To my brothers, I miss being able to chill and drink> a beer (hey im 21 now right?)> To extended family ...) I wish i> could be there for the river... again> To malissa... I love you and miss you so much....> just thinking of you keeps me going.... and that's> all the time.> to anyone i didnt mention specifically... I have a> lot of reflection periods... out here is shitty...> it makes me see how fortunate we are in the states.> dont take anything for granted.. like showers or> washing machines.... things i dont have... ( yes i> still bathe) but with a 2 liter bottle of water.> > well thats all the time I have to talk... even this> is a privelage rarely earned... I hope to write you> again and tell you im safe and sound yet again.>

2 comments:

Christa said...

It just goes to show how much we do take for granted.
Christa

Barbara McCauley said...

So true, Christa. We all need reminders every so often.